Please take the time to read over the terms and conditions below, before completing an application form.
- You must be 18 or over.
- By completing the application form it does not guarantee you a place volunteering on the Isle of Eigg. Only once you have received an acceptance letter and we receive any payment that is due will your place be confirmed.
- Please refer to the website for specific details on costs regarding voluntary opportunities on the Isle of Eigg.
- Please be aware that accommodation is provided but shared between Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust and Scottish Wildlife Trust volunteers, usually three volunteers for each organisation at any one time. We will make every effort to have separate male and female rooms but at times you may have to share a mixed sex room.
- If you have medical requirements it is your responsibility to bring enough medication for your time on the island and make others aware of any ailment that could cause alarm to others along with any procedure in an emergency situation. We have a limited medical service on the island by visiting doctors based in Skye with appointments held every Tuesday and alternate Thursday. In case of emergencies depending on urgency patients are airlifted or taken by the lifeboat. So it is imperative you inform us of any medical conditions.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required due to the physical nature of the tasks. You are also required to walk to and from work sites daily.
- Any photographs taken of volunteers working on tasks and projects may be used for reports, advertising and publicising the volunteer programme.
- You have to provide your own food. The islands shop is well stocked but if you have special dietary requirements you should consider taking particular provisions with you.
What we expect from you….
- To work from approx 5 – 7hrs/day.
- Individual volunteers can expect to have 2days off a week.
- You are required to undertake the tasks given to you unless you have a legitimate reason not to undertake them.
- Daily work diaries and evaluation forms are required to be filled out by all volunteers.
- Occasionally you are required to work without any supervision so it is essential you are self motivated, work well as part of a team and independently.
- It is imperative you behave in a responsible manner, have consideration for your fellow housemates and surrounding neighbours. If a complaint is made against you, you will be asked to leave immediately.
- It is your responsibility to keep the living quarters tidy.
What we give in return….
- Residents will be eternally grateful for your contribution to the island
- An insight into island/community living
- Beautiful location
- Working as part of a team
- Self motivation
- Opportunity to meet locals
- Prospect to enhance personal interests in community living, renewable energy, wildlife, crofting, island history and many more subjects outwith the volunteer programme
- If requested, a reference can be written for you
Essentials to bring;
- Sleeping bag/bedding & bottom sheet – we DO NOT provide any bedding at all
- Torch – there are no street lights!
- Waterproof clothing, wellingtons and decent footwear
- Old clothes for working in including sunhat and collared t-shirt for days of extreme heat
- Insect repellent (smidge is a well recommended brand)
- Midge hood
- Work gloves
- Lunch box & water bottle
For more information on the island go to
Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust is a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland No. 170339 & is a recognised Scottish Charity No. SCO25609 Registered Office: An Laimhrig. Isle of Eigg. PH42 4RL Secretary: Maggie Fyffe. Tel/Fax: 01687 482486 http://www.isleofeigg.org